Books to Encourage Your Prayer Life
Posted by Marcy
Looking for some good books to encourage your prayer life? Let me recommend a few prayer and faith enhancers.
In a previous blog entitled “Life Challenges, Prayer, and a Relationship with God” I stated that in the past several years I’ve been saturating myself with books that are faith building, healing, and peace producing. Many of these have to do with prayer. I’d like to recommend several of these to you.
Some of these books are written by contemporary authors, others were written by saints from earlier times. All attest to something deeper, more powerful, more urgent than most of our prayer practices would reveal.
It’s troubling to my spirit that for many Christians and people of other faiths prayer has degenerated into a ritual of thanks for the food, requests for God’s blessing, or recitation of memorized mantras.
Prayer, above everything else is communication with the God of the universe; Creator of man, animals, and the natural order; Almighty God who wants to involve us in exploits of “cosmic proportions”.
If you think that the “Arab Spring” has accomplished anything besides taking down one dictator to await the rise of another”, just imagine what would happen if all true Spirit-born believers would band together in God-honoring, faithful, non-doubting, Spirit-led, God-trusting, cosmic prayers; prayers for God’s kingdom to penetrate and overwhelm the kingdom of darkness that controls so much of planet earth.
Some of my favorite inspirational books on prayer are:
- The Holy Bible: written over a period of 1,600 years by 40 different authors (including kings, peasants, philosophers, statesmen, scholars, poets, a fisherman, a tax collector, a rabbi, a doctor, a shepherd and a general) from three different continents – Asia, Africa and Europe – in 3 different original languages: Hebrew, Chaldee and Greek, under the direction and influence of the Holy Spirit of God. In its present versions: translations, dynamic equivalents and paraphrases; many different dates and publishers.
There are everal books on prayer by Andrew Murray which can now be bought in a composite book:
- Andrew Murray on Prayer: A 6-in-1 Anthology: Whitaker House Publishers
- Abide in Christ
- The Prayer Life
- Waiting on God
- With Christ in the School of Prayer
- The Ministry of Intercession
- The Secret of Intercession
- The Power of Prayer: R. A. Torrey, 1924 Fleming H. Revell Company, 1971, Zondervan
- Praying With Power: Lloyd John Ogilvie, 1983, Regal Books
- The Necessity of Prayer: E. M. Bounds, 1984, Whitaker House
- The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting: Mahesh Chavda, 1988, Destiny Image Publishers.
- Authority in Prayer: Dutch Sheets, 2006, Bethany House Publishers
Don’t substitute reading about prayer for doing prayer.
The best incentive for prayer is to pray – ask God to give you His heart for the world of people, particularly those within your realm of influence or awareness. As you see answers to prayer for them, broaden out your prayer horizons – praying for brothers and sisters around the world whom God calls to your attention through world news – from both secular and Christian news dispensers.
God bless you as you read and pray.
If there are books on prayer you would like to recommend, share them with us.
©2011, Marcy Alves
More of my blog posts on prayer:
- A Call to Arms: A Call to Prayer
- Expectant Prayer: Looking for Answers?
- Life Challenges, Prayer, and a Relationship with God
- Prayer and Angels
About MarcyI love my Father-God. Together we are walking through a season of my life where I am standing with him against cancer. He is my strength and trust. As one of his daughters, my passion is to share his love with others in practical, everyday illustrations and insights.
Posted on November 13, 2011, in Christian Growth, Follow Me, My Journey, Prayer, Reflections and tagged believing prayer, books on prayer, Christian, Christianity, conversation with God, effective prayer, encouragement for prayer, God, Lloyd John Ogilvie, prayer, prayer life, prayer readings, prayer that changes things, praying with purpose and power, Religion & Spirituality, revolutionize your prayer life. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.